West Wykeham deserted medieval village DMV aerial photograph
aerial photograph of West Wykeham deserted medieval villages (DMV) Ludford Lincolnshire UK. Noted for its remarkably well preserved earthworks, Historic England state " West Wykeham is regarded as one of the two best examples of extinct villages in Lincolnshire". The Doomsday book of 1086 records the village as having 11 residents. The village is recorded as having a church dedicated to St Edward at the end of the 12th Century. Poll Tax returns of 1377 show 59 Tax payers in total for both East and West Wykeham combined although by that time most were in East Wykeham. By 1382 the church had ceased to appoint a priest and West Wykeham church was recorded as ruinouse. The last historical record of the village was in 1428 when it was reported as having fewer than 10 households.
Author: Jonathan Webb
Jonathan C.K.Webb / www.aeroengland.co.uk 2018.Bild-Kunst Urhebernummer 221 16 27.alle recht vorbehalten.all rights reserved.all moral rights are asserted.This image is not an Orphan Work and may not be licensed through any form of extended collective l
Photo size: 27.5 Mpixels (78.6 MB uncompressed) - 6852x4008 pixels (22.8x13.3 in / 58.0x33.9 cm at 300 ppi)
© aeroengland.co.uk all rights reserved, all moral rights asserted Tel. 0161 4395 197