aerial photograph of York Guildhall. Built by the guilds of York in the 15th Century it was used as a meeting place where the guilds would regulate their various trades. The building was used for the trial of Margaret Clitherow in 1586 who was accused of, and eventually hanged for the crime of harbouring Catholic Priests. Many grand banquets were here and guests included prince Albert and Richard III. At the end of the English civil war Oliver Cromwell had the money counted here to pay the Scots for their part in the war. The building was badly damaged by fire during the Baedeker Blitz of 1942 but was restored and reopened by the Queen Mum in 1960. Currently it is about to undergo a major restoration and change of use.
Author: Jonathan C K Webb
www.aeroengland.co.uk 2017 ,Bild-Kunst Urhebernummer 221 16 27, all rights reserved all moral rights are asserted. This image is not an Orphan Work and this image cannot be licensed through any form of extended collective licensing
Photo size: 18.6 Mpixels (53.4 MB uncompressed) - 5498x3392 pixels (18.3x11.3 in / 46.5x28.7 cm at 300 ppi)
© aeroengland.co.uk all rights reserved, all moral rights asserted Tel. 0161 4395 197